Wednesday, September 10, 2008

So what now...

This is like writing a diary (journal, maybe, to 'mericans), except that anyone can read it! A bit daunting!

I'm a single middle-aged (that covers anything between 35 and 70 - depending on your age) woman, who decided to get out of the rat race and try to get back to basics. So three years ago I gave up the homeloan and the bright lights and the crime and burglar-proofing, and moved to a tiny town in the country, kind of in the middle. Of South Africa, that is.

And what keeps me here? I can see the stars! Actually, there are a lot of things keeping me here, but they change daily. The freedom to walk around at night, live without burglar-proofing, keep chickens in my back yard, and breath clean air. But life is not easy, living in a small rural community, and this is what this blog is about. I think.

I've learned to love unpasteurised, unbottled milk, extra yellow free-range eggs, extra-tough free-range chickens, and fresh home-made bread. In fact, I learned to breed chickens to supply me with some of the above, and I learned to make bread. We don't have instant access to electricians, plumbers, dentists, or veterinary surgeons. So I've learned to do without.
And I'm going to share with you my adventures.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm glad to see you've bitten the blog bullet at last Catherine. It's about time the world got to share in all your crazy experiences. Why should I be the only one to suffer?