Friday, September 12, 2008

Knotted chicken

Yes, you read that right.... knotted chicken.
And no, it wasn't alive at the time!

A good few months ago I FINALLY got up the courage to slaughter the cockerels, but I'm afraid they were way too old to be the tasty treat they should have been. There were 2 reasons for this: I didn't want to kill them, and I didn't want to eat them. But what's the point in breeding the darn things if all I ever do is feed them?

So, after months of delay I finally got someone else to do the dirty deed, and I cooked them up and put the meat in the freezer, waiting for the day I'd pluck (no pun intended!!) up the courage to eat them. Or the need, and today was the day. I defrosted the chicken, added some vegetables, cooked it all up, and tried some, but it was SOOOOO tough and stringy I needed to try something else. The taste was fine. So I thought of chicken soup, but I'd need to make the meat pieces smaller for that.

And then I had it. The idea, that is. I have one of those gadgets that makes peanut butter. You know the ones - they make smoothies and things, and super smooth mashed potato (which, by the way, you shouldn't try!). So I took it off the wall, dusted it down, and put it into the chicken stew.

And after a while it didn't sound too good. I took a look, and discovered I'd almost seized (ceased?) the thing, as the chicken strings were wrapped around the blades like... well... like when you've tried to vacuum up a ball of wool with one of those push vacuum cleaners. You know the ones?

But I digress. I unravelled the blades, tried again, unravelled the blades, and gave up. I then put the stewp (stoup?) on to reheat, tried to stir it, but first had to unravel the chicken.
Seriously.
The chicken strings had all bunched up into floating balls of meat in a vegetable soup.

Eventually I had something that was vaguely reminiscent of chicken soup, but I'm afraid it wasn't very nice to eat. I guess the dogs will have a treat the next few days. That is, if they can unravel chicken.

No comments: