Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Best foot forward.

I joined a walking group.

This is momentous news, I tell you.

I spent half the day searching for my running shorts, and the other half thinking of excuses not to go. Luckily my search for the shorts was more successful than the search for excuses, so at the due time I trundled off to the meeting point.

There were four of us altogether, two very thin ones, one not so thin one, and me. After greeting each other, and discussing the weather for about 30 nanoseconds, we headed off up the road towards one of the roads that leads out of town to the farms. Three thinner ladies in front, and me. A couple of blocks later I thought it prudent to bring to their attention the fact that my legs were somewhat shorter than theirs, but I don't think anyone heard me. Maybe they were too far away!

After several minutes of speedwalking (for me) and a couple of gulps of water from my water bottle, I managed to overhear them discussing what we'd do when we got to the starting point.
The starting point? Hadn't we just left the starting point? No, no, I was told... that was the MEETING point. The STARTING point was at the edge of the town.

By the time we got to the starting point I was already thinking up excuses for the next day's walk, and then I had no time to think as I watched three women disappear into... well... we were facing the wrong direction for sunset. They simply disappeared. And I bravely carried on walking in the same direction, and caught up with them as they were resting. I was told that the way to lose weight (I thought I was there for the walk!!!) was to alternate walking with clenched buttocks and unclenched buttocks between the telegraph poles. (Not sure if they're still called telegraph poles, but this is Africa, after all) And then they were off again.

So I clenched my teeth, and continued at my steady pace behind them, and actually thoroughly enjoyed it. That was yesterday. Today I told them I didn't have time, as I had to write my blog.
I don't think they understand.

2 comments:

Cathy said...

I'll be interested in reading more of your adventures, Catherine!

Catherine said...

Gosh, I never saw this comment, and I thought nobody cared! Except for those who are nagging for the next instalment - you know who you are!